Portabella mushrooms make a nutritious and protein rich meal for vegetarians.
You can use them in Burgers or eat them on their own for a meal with more protein and less carbs.
Portabello Mushrroms: 1 packet with 3-5 mushrooms
Feta Cheese: 50 gm ( we used Kodai Feta but Greek Feta is better)
Olive Oil: 100 ml
Crushed Garlic : 4-5 garlic pods
Salt & pepper : to taste
Optional : Fresh/Dried Basil
Serve: On a bed of fresh lettuce, Garnish with watermelon, pumpkin /melon seeds (optional)
- Wash the mushrooms carefully and dry with a tissue. Remove the stems.
- Marinate mushrooms in olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. You can add fresh basil to the marinade ( optional)
- Keep in the fridge for 3-5 hours or longer.
- Heat the electric grill or barbeque.
- Place the mushrooms and grill till cooked, they will shrink in size and break if cut, 10-12 minutes.
- Put the feta on the hot mushroom .
- Serve hot on a bed of lettuce. Add fresh sliced watermelons, pumkin seeds as garnish ( optional )
- You can also use these grilled mushrooms as a filling for a Vegetarian burger. Add you choice of barbeque sauce ,lettuce, tomato, gherkins and relish